When and from whom was Adjara released? – Government of “National Movement” considered that Misha released Adjara in 2004, when he fired Aslan Abashidze from there, however, the Ajarian society celebrates liberation of this region on August 256, when in August 25 1878 by resolution of the Berlin Congress, the Russia Army where many Georgian fighters were also participating, entered in Adjara.
The Russia flag mounted on the Batumi citadel and 101 Canons salvo “informed” the Adjara population that this region returned back to its motherland” – one of the historic source says, which was published as a brochure by the European Institute. The brochure was distributed on the meeting held in a beautiful Basatashvili street square in front of the Batumi Catholic Church on August 25th 2016, where the Batumi intellectuals and society as well as guests from other regions of Georgia gathered.
The banner mounted in this square last year, informs us that the “Adjara Liberation” memorial monument will be arranged on this place. The memorial monument is ready, but the local government delays for some reasons to set it. This 4-meter height monument is made of a natural granite, has the pyramid shape and several planes. The monument bears the words: “August 25, 1878” indication of the date when Adjara was re-integrated with Georgia. The memorial monument is created by initiation of the Batumian Professor Niaz Bolkvadze and on account of donations made by population of Adjara and other regions of Georgia.
Kobuleti also did not stand far behind Batumi. As earlier as 2 years ago, by initiation of a lawyer Soso Koridz, the European Institute paid attention to the fraternal cemetery in the village Khutsubani were the Russian soldiers who were fighting for release of Adjara are buried. During the 9-year governance of the “Roses” government, the cemetery was totally remained without a due attention – the walls were almost in ruins, 2 monuments arranged in 1903, were dismantling because of erosion and mechanical influences, full of weeds around… By efforts of the European Institute and local population, the cemetery in Khutsubani is now repaired and improved partly, on the wall of the fraternal cemetery a memorial desk “Thankful Adjara will never forget the liberators”.
The analogical cemetery was in Kobuleti too with 2 monuments arranged there in early 1900s. In Bobokvati, nearby the sea at presidential residence soldiers killed in 18 January 1878 fight are buried. This cemetery for unknown reasons was destroyed during 1920s and, an exact identification of the burials at the sea, in several hectares where the commercial interests are also involved, is now impossible without conducting special searching works, while in Georgia, unlike Russia, are not the groups experienced in such the works. But instead, the representatives of Kobuleti intellectuals and the local population make accent on the existing problem. A journalist Nugzar Jordania has long ago started studies of various issues of Adjara history, including the 1877-1878 fights. Mr. Nugzatr Jordania devoted several articles to the Bobokvati cemetery, found in the archives several photos dated 1903 were the monuments analogical to the ones of the Khutsubani cemetery, are reflected. These monuments in Khutsbani and Bobokvati were arranged by General Rebinder for 25-years anniversary of Russia- Ottoman war and for memorize the soldiers died on this area of Adjara.
Inside the Kobuleti society, the is developed to construct the forest-park on the territory of the former cemetery. By efforts of Soso Koridze and support of the European Institute, on the Kobuleti-Batumi motorway the informational banner is arranged, informing that in the past times the fraternal cemetery existed here. Besides, the 1,70 m height stone is placed on which 2m height cross will be arranged. with the words “Eternal glory to liberators of Adjara”.
“I am very happy for the fact that the Adjara society participates so actively in maintaining the historical memory. Special thanks to my colleagues Soso Koridze and Nugzar Jordania, and Batumian Mr Raul Meladze, who conducts the Bobokvatio works, who arranged the banner, who found a wonderful stone for the monument and brought it himself from the river valley. We will improve this territory in all aspects and preserver the memory to further generations” – Gulbaat Rtskhiladze – leader of the European Institute declared on the improvised meeting held at the place where the monument is to be placed.
It will be desirable if the foreign tourists visiting Adjara, especially – Russians become interested of this event and, pay tribute to the fallen heroes.
Press service of the European Institute